Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Battle for Zendikar Beta Seven


For those seeing one of these for the first time, the thought is to take 7 cards from the most recent set and reimagine them as if they had existed in Beta. There will be much discussion of rules text that doesn't work, is broken, or is flat out wrong.

This was a tough decision to decide whether or not to continue the series. This is the 16th installment, and I wasn't sure if there was anything left to do to keep it relevant. As such, the current block will mark the end of the Beta Seven for a while. I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually, but it needs to be shelved. It's time.


Some point to Day 1 posts as these were once spread out over a week.

The Cards

No lands this time out as I wanted to try an Eldrazi in Beta. The frame is based on the classic token frame, and I think it works OK for what it represents.

Whenever possible, I'll tag the cards whose text I consulted or flat out stole as reference.

The mana cost was stolen directly from the Arabian Nights version of Aladdin's Lamp. Early mana symbols
didn't exist for 2 digit mana colorless mana costs. Text from Millstone, Clone, and Swords to Plowshares.
Indestructible text by me, hope it's close enough!
Why not "defending player"? Beta didn;t really care about multiplayer.
More bad Indestructible text! ETB->Comes into play via Animate Dead.
Return of the Interrupt. Text from Power Sink and Swords to Plowshares.
Damage text from Hypnotic Specter.
It's always nice to try and add a "big text" card or two. "Does" lifted from Lightning Bolt.
Italicized "or" from Library of Alexandria. I added the flavor text as
the textbox was a bit too barren without it.
Mono meas Tap, so you gotta do it. "Sacrifice" becomes "discard" courtesy Black Lotus.
Also used text from Jayemdae Tome for "extra cards".

Social Media

Like what you see? Have a request for a render? Feel free to hit me up on Twitter @TheProxyGuy

Art Links

Drana :



Spell Shrivel:




Friday, September 11, 2015

The Many Faces of Expeditions


As we are all well aware, Battle for Zendikar has a special premium subset called Expeditions. The feedback went from initial praise for adding a Hidden Treasures type gem into the set, to backlash for not being actually full art. Whatever your personal thoughts on the frame are, these cards undoubtedly will be coveted for years to come.

Social Media

As always, I can be found on Twitter @TheProxyGuy or feel free to drop me an email


Starting with the actual frame, re-created digitally with the amazing help of @IamNarb for the vectoring of the hedron pattern border.

This is what WOTC gave us;

Not a terrible frame, but loads of wasted space at the top from the curve, and the textbox does no justice to the art. 

What happens if we swap the textbox idea for a more familiar one? Let's straighten out that curve while we're at it.

The result certainly feels more like a Magic card. Now let's take it a full step further and see what both frames, curved and straight, look like with no rules text. First up is the curved frame, as imagined by the aforementioned @IamNarb

Now we're starting to see what could have been possible. The art now plays the leading role and the card is far less cluttered then when we started. Here's my take, with a slightly more rounded bottom frame and straight sides.

Very similar result, with just a touch more space at the top for the art.

This next one is straight down the rabbit hole. Creative Director @MattyStudios wanted minimal. Really, really minimal. Make the art jump out. Oh, and make it like Unhinged. So here it is, the Matty version of Expeditions.

The art definitely leads the parade here.

That's it! 4 news flavors of what might have been. Feel free to comment here or on Reddit/Twitter/elsewhere on what you like or don't like about the ideas as presented. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Friday, August 28, 2015

SDCC 2015 Planeswalker Supplimental

Not Limited Edition

I put these up on Twitter a bit ago and had a few requests to share them. The project was originally the brainchild of @zendiplomacy that wanted to have a more complete set of the SDCC Planeswalkers. His direction was just to have the emblems in the SDCC style, and left that design completely up to me, I was happy with how they turned out, and I hope you enjoy them as well.

Social Media

As always, I can be found on Twitter @TheProxyGuy

The Cards


Monday, July 27, 2015

Salmon Ball Graphics

Crowd-funded not FTW.

Thanks to another miserable go-round with Teespring, and no pending replacement, here are the graphics for the Salmon Ball GPVegas tee.

You may use these for personal use only. If I see another campaign pop-up with these, I will be most sore.

Right click-> Save as. They are both transparent PNG's and will copy/paste funky otherwise.